Eye Cancer and the Treatment of Ocular Tumors
Fortunately, the survival rate of eye cancer is relatively high, as long as the disease is diagnosed and treated in a timely fashion. Timely treatment is particularly important in terms of preventing the cancer from spreading to other parts of the body. If you have been diagnosed with or are experiencing the symptoms of eye cancer, and you require treatment of ocular tumors, our retinal specialists in Shawnee Mission, KS can provide you with the care you need.
Please contact Retina Associates, LLC today to schedule your initial appointment with our retinal specialists.
What Are the Symptoms of Eye Cancer?
If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, please do not hesitate to seek treatment immediately. While these symptoms may also indicate other, less serious eye conditions, it is always better to be safe than sorry:
- Bulging of one of your eyes
- Flashes of light, shadows, or unsteady lines in your field of vision
- Blurry vision
- Loss of vision, whether partial or total
- A lump on your eyelid that is changing in shape or size
- A patch of darkness in your field of vision that is growing in size
Treatments for Eye Cancer
If you are diagnosed with an ocular tumor, there are several treatments available. Our specialists will recommend the most conservative treatment method that is likely to produce the best results. If it is possible to salvage your eye and spare your vision, we will do so. Our foremost priority, however, will be to eradicate the cancerous cells and prevent them from spreading.
Treatment options include:
- Surgery: Surgical removal of the cancerous tissues may require partial or total removal of the eye. If total removal of the eye is necessary, it can be replaced with a prosthetic eye.
- Radiation therapy: This is not usually the first course of treatment and is often used as an adjunctive treatment with laser therapy or after the removal of an eye. However, it can be effective in the treatment of smaller tumors.
- Laser therapy: Laser therapy uses laser heat to shrink tumors. It is potentially effective in the treatment of smaller ocular tumors, especially in conjunction with radiation therapy.
- Chemotherapy: Chemo drugs can be effective in treating certain ocular tumors when injected directly into the eye.
Learn More about the Treatment of Ocular Tumors
If you would like to learn more about the treatment of ocular tumors, please contact Retina Associates, LLC today.