Michael Ellis, M.D., F.A.C.S.
- Retina Associates (2022-present) Lenexa, Lawrence, Topeka locations
- Fellowship: Vitreoretinal Surgery (2020-2022) Cincinnati Eye Institute/University of Cincinnati Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH
- Residency: Ophthalmology (2017-2020) University of California, Davis Eye Center, Sacramento, CA
- Internship: Internal Medicine (2016-2017) University of California, Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA
- Medical School: MD (2012-2016) University of Kansas School of Medicine, Kansas City, KS
- Undergraduate: BS (2008-2012) Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS (summa cum laude)
- American Board of Ophthalmology
Professional Societies and Organizations
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Retina Specialists
- American Medical Association
- Cincinnati Society of Ophthalmology
- California Association Eye Physicians and Surgeons
- Medical Society of Johnson and Wyandotte Counties (Previous Board Member)
- Blue Key Honor Society (Previous Board Member)
Publications, Selected Poster Presentations and Exhibits
- Ditch E, Bloom J, Ellis M, Sisk R, Hypotony Maculopathy and Choroidal Detachment from Repeated Nocturnal Ocular Compression in a pediatric patient, American Journal of Ophthalmology Case Reports, September 2022; 27, 101680
- Ellis M, Riemann C, Hemorrhagic Retina Detachment Repair, AAO 2021 on Demand, November 2021, New Orleans, LA.
- Ellis M, Chang M, Yiu G, Anti-retinal Antibodies in Vitamin A Deficiency. Ophthalmic Surgery, Lasers and Imaging Retina. December 1, 2020. 51(12), 723-726.
- Ellis M, Bacorn C, Luu K, Lee S, Tran S, Lillis, C, MacDonald S, Lim M, Yiu G, Cost Analysis of Tele-ophthalmology Screening for diabetic retinopathy using telehealth Billing Codes, Ophthalmic Surgery, Lasers and Imaging Retina. May 1, 2020;51(5):S26-S34
- Ellis M, Schochet D, Lo T, Yiu G, Emerging Concepts in the Treatment of Diabetic Retinopathy. Current Diabetes Reports. November 20, 2019; 19(11):137
- Ellis M, Yiu G. Conversion and Spontaneous Reversion of Lamellar Hole from Full-thickness Macular Hole, Retinal Cases and Brief Reports, November 13, 2019, epub ahead of print
- Ellis M, Welch R, O’Hara M, Irregular Ocular Vessels in an Infant, Journal of Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus, November 1, 2019; 56(6):347
- Ellis M, Lo T, Schochet D, Yiu G, Using Antioxidants for Age-related Macular Degeneration. CME booklet, Lippincott’s, Fall 2019
- Lara S, Afify A,Ellis M, Phan C, Richman D, Riess J, Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor-Induced Myasthenia Gravis in a Patient with Advanced NSCLC and Remote History of Thymoma, Clinical Lung Cancer, July 2019; 20(4):e489-e491
- Ellis M, Yiu G, Eye on Tele-ophthalmology. Envision Magazine, Summer 2019, pages 10-13
- Ellis M, Bacorn C, Luu K, Lee S, Tran S, Lillis, C, MacDonald S, Lim M, Yiu G, Sustainability of a Tele-Ophthalmology Screening Program for Diabetic Retinopathy in Northern California Robert E. Stowell Pathology Research Symposium, May 2019, Sacramento, CA.
- Bacorn C, Ellis M, Luu K et al. Implementation of a pilot tele-ophthalmology screening program for diabetic retinopathy in Northern California. ARVO. April 30, 2019, Vancouver, Canada.
- Ellis M, Lim M, Hammel N, Maharajh S, Fujino D, Hom B, MacDonald S, Automated Capture of the Dilated Eye Exam for Diabetic Retinopathy Screening in an Electronic Health Record. ARVO. April 30, 2019, Vancouver Canada.
- Ellis M, Broxterman EC, Hromas AR, Whittaker TJ, Sokol JA, Deep Lateral Wall Orbital Decompression following Strabismus Surgery in Patients with Type II Grave's Orbitopathy, Orbit. October 2018; 37(5):321-324
- Ellis M, Yiu G, Tele-ophthalmology launched at UC Davis midtown clinic. UC Davis Health Online Newsroom, September 24, 2018. health.ucdavis.edu/publish/news/newsroom/13189.
- Ellis M, Morse L, Park S, Yiu G, Moshiri A, 12 Month Follow-up of Intraocular Pressure after Ozurdex Implantation: A retrospective analysis, ARVO, April 29, 2018, Honolulu, Hawaii.
Notable Oral Presentations:
- Ellis M, Bloom J, Sisk R, Obstructive Sleep Apnea is an Important Cause of Retinopathy and Recalcitrant Retinal Vascular Disease. 26th Annual Ophthalmology Conference & Research Symposium, University of Cincinnati, April 17, 2021
- Ellis M, Bacorn C, Luu K, Lee S, Tran S, Lillis, C, MacDonald S, Lim M, Yiu G, Cost Analysis of Tele-ophthalmology Screening for diabetic retinopathy using telehealth Billing Codes, Ophthalmology Times Research Scholar Symposium, October 10, 2019.
- Ellis M, Bacorn C, Luu K, Lee S, Tran S, Lillis, C, MacDonald S, Lim M, Yiu G, Implementation of a pilot tele-ophthalmology screening program for diabetic retinopathy at UC Davis Health System, UC Davis Alumni Day Research Symposium, June 22, 2019.
- Ellis M, Lee S, Stoltzfus K et al. Implementation of Telemedicine-Based Diabetic Retinopathy Screening in an Underserved, Urban Primary Care Setting, presented at Kansas University Medical Center Student Research Forum and Kansas Eye Conference, April 2016.
- Ellis M, Lin A, Conjunctival Intraepithelial Neoplasia, University of Utah Ophthalmology Department Grand Rounds, August 12, 2015, published online in Moran CORE, morancore.utah.edu/section-08-external-disease-and-cornea/conjunctival-intraepithelial-neoplasia.
Consultancy and Advisory Board Experience:
- 05/2022-present, Consultant, Alimera Sciences (2022 Fellow’s Forum)
- 06/2022-present, Consultant, Eyepoint Pharmaceuticals (2022 Fellow’s Forum)
Clinical Trials Experience:
RegenexBio- Ascent, A randomized, partially masked, controlled, Phase 3 Clinical Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of RGX-314 Gene Therapy in Participants with Neovascular Age-related Macular Degeneration
Alimera- New Day, 01-20-005: A randomized, masked, Controlled Study of Intravitreal Iluvien Implant as Baseline Therapy in Patients with Early Diabetic Macular Edema